As a cultural sociologist I investigate the ethical roles and moral meanings of authenticity, autonomy and imperfection in the context of emerging medical and digital technologies. My research on the authenticity ethics of ‘being true to yourself’ in a context of mental health medications resulted in a publication and annual guest lecture for the Sociology mastercourse “Medicalization, Healthcare and Social Control” (University of Groningen). I am currently merging my previous and present research activities in a PhD study on authenticity-ethics and digital technologies at the University of Twente.
Due to society’s preoccupation with computers becoming more human-like, we have come to overlook an important, inverse question: in what ways are humans becoming more machine-like? Authenticity, autonomy and imperfection are significant concepts to investigate in technological, philosophical and sociological contexts.
authenticity / emerging (enhancement) technologies / (digital) culture
I have studied society and culture from a wide range of perspectives and I consider my professional experience in the field of healthcare and social welfare as an important source of micro-sociological knowledge. I have empirically analyzed cultural ideals of authenticity and (im)perfection in the following sociological contexts:
• Medicalization (University of Amsterdam, 2011 – 2012)
• Cosmetic surgery (Centre for Rotterdam Cultural Sociology, 2013 – 2016)
• Digital media (Platform Immaterialicious, 2016)
• Social robotics (Erasmus University, department Medical ethics and Philosophy, 2017)
• Digital algorithms (Medialab SETUP, 2018)
• Human | Machine complementarity (Medialab SETUP, 2019)
• Writing: currently SETUP reads & Hard//hoofd
• Understanding authenticity ethics and moral debates on emerging technologies
• Bridging social science, philosophy and everyday practice
• Connecting empirical ‘raw’ data to cultural, sociological and philosophical theories
• Critical thinking and conceptual thinking
• Contributing to public debates on emerging technologies